You’re about to sign the contract for a vinyl window replacement project. Wait! There are several things that less ethical companies won’t tell you unless you ask. When you’re buying new windows, it’s important to get all the facts from the window company before you sign on the dotted line. At Superior Home Improvements, we pride ourselves on educating our customers on all the facts.
What Window Companies Don’t Want You to Know
If you don’t specifically ask, there are several things that many window companies simply won’t address with their customers. At Superior Home Improvements, we don’t believe in deceiving potential clients to get their business and wouldn’t like to see anyone suffer this fate even if they opt to work with another contractor in our area. Here are some things to be mindful of:
- Warrantees: Many companies glaze over or completely skip this part of the discussion because they are too focused on the short term. For customers, this is a long term investment so you should make sure to ask what the terms are. You should be able to understand all of the terms and conditions of the paperwork. If there is no warranty, don’t buy the windows.
- Brands: Some companies may try to switch out the brand you selected for a cheaper, lower quality brand so that they can save money. This should all be in writing, but make sure to ask the window company exactly what brand/model they will be installing.
- Pricing: There are a variety of things that window companies may try to hide in this category. The most common is the pricing for two different types of installation. You should ask for pricing on both “brick-to-brick” and “retrofit” options. Any company who does not give you pricing for both of these is not looking out for your best interests. Sometimes companies are not capable of doing “brick-to-brick” installation and therefore will not discuss it with you unless you ask. They’re just trying to get your business at any cost, remember? The problem with this is that in your situation, “brick-to-brick” may be your best option. At Superior Home Improvements, we will give you pricing for both and then let YOU make the decision.
- Timeframe: Make sure to ask exactly when the window replacement will be completed. Some companies may be vague about this so that they can work as many orders as possible at the same time, even if that means delaying completion of some. If you don’t want to have half finished windows for months, make sure to ask when the project will be completed by.
- Installers: These people will be coming in to your home to work and will probably be largely unsupervised. Make sure to ask the window company about backgrounds. Safety aside, you should also ask how much experience they have installing windows. At Superior Home Improvements, these are all pieces of information that we communicate to our customers. We believe that transparency builds trust and we want our customers to feel comfortable allowing us into their homes.
Asking a few simple questions can save you time, money and a lot of headaches. These questions will not only give you specific information, but they will also give you a better idea of the integrity of the company you are choosing to work with.