If you’ve never been through the process of a vinyl window replacement project before, it can be difficult to know which way to turn. You are faced with many different choices and with no experience, you are more prone to making mistakes. The trouble is, mistakes with a vinyl window replacement can be very costly, which is why it’s so important to consult with a reputable contractor before you make any decisions. As one of those reputable window companies (we have over 30 years of experience in this industry), we’re going to help you out during this post by outlining some of the biggest mistakes that you must avoid at all costs.
Biggest Vinyl Window Replacement Errors Based on 30 Years of Experience
- Buying Based on Price Alone – Everyone is looking for a great deal, we understand that. The economy is still recovering and many people that need a vinyl window replacement only have a limited budget to work with. But opting for the cheapest option around will often cost you dearly in the long run, through poor insulation and less durability. There are many window companies that will try and take advantage of this “it’s fine as long as it’s cheap” mentality and will offer you an irresistible quote by cutting corners on product quality and installation standards.
- Being Pressured Into Buying – This problem is just as common as the one outlined above. After all, surely window companies, who are experts in the subject, know exactly what you should be buying, right?! While that’s definitely true, some companies will abuse this “authority” and use it to sell you a vinyl window replacement that you don’t really need, i.e. one with features and finishes that are totally unnecessary. The aim here is to get you to part with as much money as possible. You’ll know this is happening if staff from the window replacement company push you to make a decision straight away and won’t seem to take no for an answer. The “unique” windows they pitch you are usually just very generic mass-produced products, meaning they pocket a huge mark-up.
- Skimping on Installation – Many homeowners think that as long as they invest into high quality windows, they’ll be fine. For this reason, they put all their time into researching the different variables relating to the windows themselves, but pay very little attention to who will be installing the windows. This is a very big mistake. Almost 90% of all the warranty claims that a window manufacturer receives are related to the installation. This is because the process of carrying out a window replacement is very difficult and it’s imperative that everything is done extremely precisely; even a few millimetres can cause air leakage and cause energy bills to skyrocket.
- Not Doing Enough Due Diligence – Rushing the decision on who to hire for your vinyl window replacement project can be a very big mistake. You need to be thorough and do all of your due diligence if you don’t want to be left disappointed. This means taking the time to check references, insurance policies, that licences are valid, how good communication is etc. While this might require some effort initially, it can pay off in a big way in the long term.
- If you’re looking for a reputable contractor in Toronto, Markham, Durham or Richmond Hill and would like some more information about a vinyl window replacement, contact Superior Home Improvements.
contact us for vinyl window replacement