Are you thinking of investing some money into your home? You might be struggling to decide where to invest it, as there are so many home improvement projects that you can have done nowadays, from bathroom and kitchen renovations to having a new garage door installed to hiring a landscaping expert to sort out your back yard. Each of these projects can improve your quality of life in a different way. Having been one of the leading window companies in the Greater Toronto Area since 1973, completing hundreds of installations and repair jobs in Scarborough, Richmond Hill, Markham and Durham, we often get asked about the merits of a window replacement by homeowners. “Is it really worth the investment” many people ask us. We always reply with a resounding YES! During this article we are going to explain why.
The Main Reasons to Consider Window Replacement for Your Property
Windows perform a multitude of different functions in your home. They allow natural light to flood into your property during the daytime, provide a clear view of your outdoor area, maintain a pleasant temperature indoors by trapping heat energy and shielding you from the elements, and they also stop outdoor noise from making its way inside your property. If the important roles that windows fulfil aren’t enough to persuade you to invest in a window replacement, here are a few more reasons:
- Home’s Value Takes a Jump – The best home improvement projects improve the functionality of your home while at the same time retaining a high percentage of the investment you made. In terms of a window replacement, in Remodeling magazine’s annual “Cost vs. Value” report it was stated that a vinyl window replacement retains 78.7 percent of the value of the investment made, which is higher than a bathroom remodel, kitchen remodel and a roofing replacement. So should you decide to sell up and move in the future, the market value of your property would likely be considerably higher as a result of the window replacement.
- Save $$$ on Energy Bills – It’s fairly well documented that a window replacement can cut your annual energy consumption by as much as 25% (or more depending on local weather conditions), saving you considerable amounts of money in the process. This figure would be even higher if you currently have single glazing and have double or triple glazing installed. Are you wondering how windows are able to save you electricity? Older, less efficient windows allow heat energy to escape from your home in a number of ways, with convection and conduction being the main ones, forcing your heating and cooling systems to work harder and consequently consume more energy.
- Improve Comfort Levels – You don’t want to be constantly wrapped up inside your home as well as outside your home during the cold winter weather that we get in and around Toronto every year. Another benefit that many homeowners have commented on after we’ve completed a window replacement at their property, is the improvement in comfort levels inside their home. A new window replacement will improve the insulation of your property (as we just mentioned), which results in better heat retention and warmer rooms.
- Better Home Security – Older windows are a serious security risk as they can be broken into relatively easily, providing an intruder with easy access to all your worldly possessions. This is because the windows installed several decades ago didn’t have to meet the same strict requirements that today’s windows do. Not only are the frames and locking mechanisms much improved, but there is a vast array of glazing options available nowadays that are much harder to break.
- Improve Usability – Another common complaint we hear from owners of properties that have ancient windows, is that they are extremely difficult to open and close. You shouldn’t have to strain yourself to open or close a window; if you do have to there’s something seriously wrong. A new window replacement will fix all that and can be installed in a variety of different styles to suit your own preferences. Whether you prefer sliding windows or swinging windows, there’s a window replacement for everyone.
- Enhance Aesthetics – Windows are an important part of your home’s exterior, and old windows can definitely negatively affect its appearance. A new window replacement however can change all that, and providing the correct colour and finish is selected, can help to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your property.
The list of benefits that a window replacement will bring to your home could go on and on, but we’ve already pointed out many of the main advantages. With a single improvement you can positively influence your property in several different ways. If you would like to set up a free on-site consultation with a member of our team, or you simply require further information about the products that we offer,